The women’s volleyball club (ŽOK) Puconci reports the sad news that their colleague and friend has died Tadeja Gregorec. After writing Saturday info it’s about a girl who, three years ago, almost choked on this popular dish from Prekmurje at a competition in Štuk, where a traditional student party was held, who could eat the gibanica faster. According to the media, Tadeja survived the accident at the time, but it left lasting effects on her body.
“Today, after three years, Tadeja quietly and definitively left us, truly to the regret of all of us, in the prime of her youth. Much too soon, with too many questions of why, and with a great void she left between us. Tadeja, rest in peace,” her friends wrote on Facebook on Tuesday.
Before the tragic accident, Tadeja was the official volleyball statistician at ŽOK Puconca. “In the memory of many of her volleyball teammates, coaches, fellow statisticians and fans of our club, Tadeja will forever be remembered as an extremely happy and kind girl,” they said goodbye to her.
The accident happened at the beginning of December 2019, when the traditional student event turned into a real nightmare for many. Tadeja suddenly collapsed during the speed eating competition. According to the testimonies published on 24 hours, she began to choke. Unable to breathe, she fainted. Paramedics resuscitated her for more than half an hour, and then they took her to the Maribor clinical center. She was admitted to intensive therapy at the Maribor University Medical Center in a critical condition.