Recently it was on TikTok a video surfaced featuring a chicken being cooked in cough syrup in the foreground NyQuil, which also has a sedative or soporific effect. The author called the chicken in syrup “sleeping chicken”, and the clip soon became a thing viral – but not a classic challenge either, warn social network experts. As they state, it was only one recording, and all those that appeared later with similar content are its derivatives or sticky notes, with which the authors mostly point out the senselessness of such actions or they are making jokes about the original author.
But despite everything – according to the principle that prevention is better than cure – the American drug agency FDA has already spoken out and warned, Yes food prepared in this way is not edible, the very idea, Yes if anyone would prepare chicken in such a way, it is simply stupid. As they wrote, the heating of the syrup, which contains acetaminophen, dextromethorphan and doxylamine, extremely dangerous, as the liquid evaporates when heated, and the mentioned ingredients are therefore that much more concentrated. “Even if you don’t end up eating the chicken, just inhaling the cooking fumes is dangerous because the gases can damage the lungs,” the FDA warned social media users.
This is not the first time Yes the agency issued such a warning due to videos that circulated on the Internet, writes Reuters. In 2020, several teenagers poisoned themselves and sought help in the emergency room due to excessive and inappropriate use antiallergic benadrylwhich is generally prescribed to people with hay fever.