Protests in Iran: Social networks blocked, women cut their hair in support

Mahsa Amini was in Tehran visiting relatives. Photo: Reuters

“The Iranian people took to the streets to fight for their fundamental rights and human dignity…and the government responded to these peaceful protests with weapons,” emphasized the director of the non-governmental organization Iran Human Rights based in Oslo Mahmoud Amiri Mohamad. According to the organization, protests are being reported from more than 30 cities.

While authorities deny any involvement of the security forces in the deaths of the protesters, the deaths of three members of the security forces in the cities of Tabriz, Qazvin and Mashad on Wednesday were said to have been shot or stabbed. One died during Tuesday’s protests in the city of Shiraz.

According to the Fars news agency, one of the protesters was killed with a knife on Wednesday in the city of Qazvin. Earlier on Wednesday, Iranian officials announced that six protesters had been killed since the protests began.

International non-governmental organizations and the United Nations have otherwise condemned the cruel suppression of the protests. The human rights organization Amnesty International mentions, among other things, the use of tear gas, water cannons and rubber bands to disperse the protesters.

Mahsa Amini. Photo: Reuters

The authorities have also imposed strict restrictions on the use of the Internet. They blocked access to the Instagram social network and Whatsapp chat applications, which are the most frequently used by the residents, as many social networks have already been blocked in the country in recent years, including Facebook, Telegram, Twitter and Tiktok.

Photo: Reuters

Photo: Reuters

The police deny the beating

The protests were sparked by the death of a 22-year-old woman Mahse Amini, of a Kurdish girl from the northwestern city of Saqez who was arrested on September 13 during a family visit to the Iranian capital, Tehran, by moral and religious police for her “un-Islamic” dress – because she did not “properly” wear the hijab, which is mandated by Iran’s strict Islamic dress code , and took her to the police station.

She collapsed in custody and was in a coma for three days before dying in hospital on Friday.

Chief of the Tehran Police Hossein Rahimi on Monday called her death an “unfortunate incident” and rejected allegations that she was beaten or mistreated by police in custody. Activists meanwhile claim that she died from a blow to the head, which the authorities deny and have promised an investigation.

Mahsa’s father Amjad Amini in an interview with the BBC, he accused the authorities of lying and said that they did not allow him to see the autopsy report. they also didn’t let him see his daughter.

He also denied that she had any health problems that could have caused sudden heart failure, and also claimed that she always wore long, “decent” clothes. He also said that an eyewitness told the family that the police had beaten her while in custody.

Protests began immediately after her death, initially subdued, before spreading across the country to around 15 cities, from Tehran to the Shiite holy city of Qom. In front of the cheering crowd, some female protesters took off their headscarves and burned them in bonfires as a sign of protest, or symbolically cut off their hair.

Mass protests in Iran over the death of a girl

The article is in Slovenian

Tags: Protests Iran Social networks blocked women cut hair support

NEXT Helios outplayed Hops by as many as 43 points in the opening game